04 September 2008

If Zo! and Tigallo Love the 80s, I Do Too!







The Greatest Depiction of the 80s I've seen in a while




Today, lovely peeps, I present to you Zo! and Tigallo. This dynamic duo:


  • Zo! :: a producer/musician from Silver Spring, MD
  • and Tigallo :: our favorite rapper, Phonte, from Little Brother


Their album, *Zo! & Tigallo Love the 80s*, is a modern update to some 80s hits. As crazy as they look on the cover [and they do look funny as all hell], you would think that the album is going to be straight shit....tricky lil artist they are!! This album has played at least 5 times everyday on the Touch! They took songs I've listened to as a kid and almost made me forget what the original sounded like. And they weren't your old school soul and r&b songs [your rick james', your stevies, your chakas...], they were all the 2520 songs [with the exception of The Rude Boys]!!! Okay so I'ma run through all the tracks on the album and give the original videos by the original artists:


**1** AFRICA :: originally by ToTo


THIS IS MY FAVORITEST SONG ON THE ALBUM RIGHT NOW!! ToTo, an American rock band, originally released this song in 1982 on their *Toto IV* album.






**2** TAKE ON ME :: originally by A-ha

A-ha, a new wave synthrock band from Norway, originally released this song on their album *Hunting High and Low* in 1986. I love this video cause it's a cool mix of drawing and real life.






**3** STEPPIN' OUT 2008 :: originally by Joe Jackson

Joe Jackson [not "no, daddy, no" Joe], and English pop artist, released this song on his *Night and Day* album back in 1982. I always heard this song and I recognized it immediately when I heard it on the album, but when I looked up who the song artist was, I was caught a bit off guard. I actually thought it was "no, daddy, no" Joe! I was about to be like, "Lemme find out Joe was an artist in his spare time!"





**4** SOMETHING ABOUT YOU :: Level 42

Level 42, English new wave band, originally released this song on their 1985 album, *World Machine*. The guy who sings the hook is a bit scary, especially when he pops out in that loud ass suit!





**5** I'M ONLY HUMAN :: originally by Human League

Human League, English synthpop band, released this on their *Crash* album back in 1986. The words to this song are exactly how I feel around 2pm everyday...lol

POP QUIZ: Guess which one is the man???





**6** WRITTEN ALL OVER YOUR FACE :: originally by The Rude Boys

Okay, so this single dropped in 1990....but so what! Close enough to the 80s. The Rude Boys are a Cleveland R&B band that was discovered by Gerald Levert, who happens to make an appearance in the video. They are the only black group to be covered on this album. If you're Black, and you don't know this song, YOU'RE an official loser!! I'll let yall slide on all the other songs, but this one get's no excuse!!

AND UMM.....Why is Gerald wearing a TOPHAT??? ...T-Pain before his time....







0 comments: